If your doctor wants more detailed images or it’s difficult to get a clear picture of your heart with a standard echocardiogram, your doctor may recommend a transesophageal echocardiogram.
In this procedure:
- Your throat will be numbed, and you’ll be given medications to help you relax.
- A flexible tube containing a transducer is guided down your throat and into the tube connecting your mouth to your stomach (esophagus).
- The transducer records the sound wave echoes from your heart.
- A computer converts the echoes into detailed moving images of your heart, which your doctor can view on a monitor.
How do I get started?
Contact San Tan Cardiovascular Center today to make an appointment with one of our healthcare providers.
At this appointment:
- we will review your medical history, discuss your symptoms and perform a non-invasive, diagnostic test to further determine your medical condition,
- any pertinent testing that needs to be done beforehand will also be ordered at this time.
Our billing department will then contact your health insurance company to obtain prior authorization. Upon receiving insurance authorization, the test will be scheduled.